Sunday, July 25, 2010

DAY 1 - 68.5 miles, 3,687 elevation

Unfortunately, Rick didn't finish his projects, so he brought his laptop and files with him. He also stayed up most of the night working. This carried on into the morning, so we got off to a late start around 10am. It was hot and humid and our baggage weighed the bike down -- total weight, about 50-60 lb. I was doing okay for the first half of the day, but then my legs started cramping badly during the final 23 miles. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it and once again, I cried from the pain. I wanted to SAG it, but Rick wouldn't let me. I don't know why my legs cramped so badly. After all the running I've been doing, I thought I'd be fine. Maybe I didn't eat enough or drink enough water. Maybe I didn't realize how hard it is to ride self-supported on a hilly route. Probably a little of everything. We finally pulled into the overnight town - Storm Lake - by around 9pm. Luckily, Joe's Shower Shack was still open. Showering inside a trailer never felt better! We ate veggie curry and gyros for dinner and strolled along this beautiful little town. We pitched our tent right by the lake and fell asleep underneath the bright moon and stars. A lovely ending to a rough day. Tomorrow is going to be a long day of riding with nearly 80 miles. At least it should be pretty flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment