Friday, July 31, 2009

Analysis of the Guys

Gene is a wise guy and a good sport. He does love his truck and he made us sit on towels so as not to get our sweat all over the place. Tash stuck a little chocolate between the towels and made fun of Gene's accident. The various drivers also kept mocking Gene by pretending to drive with the handbrakes on or driving with the rear detector beeping all the time. Gene is also Mr. 20 Questions. He asked me if I saw other ladies in the communal showers. Although he never said "naked", it was completely implied. He also asked 20 questions at dinner about how I met Rick. But at least he shared back by telling us the funny story of how he met his wife.

Ron is a sweetheart. He was always making sure that I felt as comfortable as possible being surrounded by macho men :) He taught me that I need to eat heartily before trying to ride for a full day. One egg and a slice of toast with a half cup of coffee just doesn't cut it for riding 50 miles. In the end, I learned to eat as much as possible before each ride. He also made sure I got my dark chocolate fix after the day of riding was over.

Pete is a funny guy. He was always making me laugh with his jokes...of which Rick was often the target. I also aspire to be like Pete on the bike one day. He makes it seem so effortless. When Rick and I sped past him down a hill thanks to the momentum on the tandem, Pete caught up to us in no time, slowed down and said hi halfway up the hill, and then just took off while Rick and I pedaled out of breath. Oh, and for someone who makes fun of me on my Crackberry, I think he spent almost as much time on his phone texting!

Tash, well I've known him since our Cooper Union days, so I know how sweet and funny he is. He was so nice to wait for me during the 75-mile biking day. Plus, he rode with Rick and I on a couple of days...which made the ride more enjoyable. Now, how to convince him to ride tandem with his wife for the next RAGBRAI?

And then there's Rick, my hero for the trip. I could have never finished RAGBRAI without him. Not only for carrying me while I was soft-pedaling, but also for constantly encouraging me that I can do it. While I wanted to kill him at the time I was riding the Trek, now that I reflect upon it, I'm glad I didn't kill him, and I'm glad I rode 37 miles on my own. Also, it was wonderful to spend one week with Rick without the kids. I tell people it was like a second honeymoon...except that the primary physical activity involved is bicycling. Too tired and in agony for anything else!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! You exceeded my expectations even though I was confident that you would be able to handle the mileage and long saddle time! Thanks for making the trip extra special!

    ReplyDelete