Friday, May 21, 2010

Running Log

As many of my friends know, I have been training to run a half marathon forever. Originally, I was going to try to do it when I went on a business trip to San Antonio, mainly because my virtual running partner, Dave, was going to be there. Dave lives in Houston, so we always email or text each other on our running activities. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the run because I was ill with strep throat the week before the meeting and I was in no shape to run 13.1 miles. I was feeling quite lethargic after I came back from that trip until Dave emailed me with a challenge. The subject line of the email, GAUNTLET IS DOWN!!! He created a point system for each time we run, minimum distance is 3 miles. So here's how it works:

1 pt - 3 mile minimum
1 bonus pt - 5 mile minimum
1 bonus pt - running four times a week (Mon-Sun)
1 bonus pt - running an organized event

Dave knows me quite well in that I have major OCD tendencies. He knew that I would totally buy into this, which I did. I now have a running log that I have kept since the beginning of April. Thanks to Dave, I have logged in 62.65 miles for a total of 24 points. This is significant improvement over my sporadic running habits. If I'm not sick, I'll run 4x a week...just so I can get that extra bonus point. Dave and I still have to figure out what kind of ridiculous thing the loser has to do, but I'm sure I'll think of something outrageous for him :)

No comments:

Post a Comment